1. WATER: so simple to consume in your diet and so many health benefits. Increases energy levels which could help to reduce fatigue. Promotes weight loss. Boosts your immune system and flushes out toxins. Raises your metabolism and reduces hunger. DRINK MORE AND FEEL BETTER!
2. VEGETABLES: how many times do you hear 'eat your 5 a day'? It's because it is very important, and research is now suggesting that up to 10 fruit and veg a day is appropriate for optimal health. Low in calories and high in nutrients that have been shown to protect against chronic diseases. Plenty of vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants that help your body to work more optimally.
3. PROTEIN: now massively recognised as a major positive in the fitness world but protein is VITAL for people of all goals. Helps to reduce muscle loss and build lean muscle as well as speeding up recovery after exercise. Creates higher satiety levels leaving you fuller for longer. Contains many essential amino acids which can stimulate muscle protein synthesis to increase lean muscle mass.
4. EXERCISE: not that I need to explain how beneficial exercise is but I thought I would include it in the 5 points. PLANNING is the key to getting those sessions in. Create a week plan or seek help for one, once you have sessions booked into your diary you are more likely to stick to it instead of 'exercising when you feel like it' (because that very rarely happens).
5. SLEEP: plays a big part in nutrition. Hunger is controlled by two hormones, leptin and ghrelin. The less leptin you produce the emptier your stomach, the more ghrelin you produce the hungrier you get, whilst also reducing the amount of calories you burn and increasing the amount of fat you store. So, your body needs to control this process and sleep depravation makes this VERY difficult.